Oxford House was originally one of the trading posts set up by the Hudson’s Bay Company, en route to Norway House. People from nearby areas, as far as York Factory, moved to the trading site and formed the community of Oxford House. The main dialect spoken is Cree. The United Church played a major role in the development of the community. The ministers and their wives were the first nurses and teachers.
Oxford House officially became a community in 1798. The location of the community is located along the Eastern shoreline of Oxford House Lake at the mouth of Hayes River, in Northern area of Manitoba. The First Nation is 950 kilometers North of Winnipeg.